An online tool that went from a nice-to-have to a crucial resource for students overnight.
When looking to design and develop a resource portal filled with a catalogue of Welsh and bilingual resources for the post-compulsory sector, Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol got in touch to discuss what they were looking for.
With user experience, searchability and accessibility at the heart of this project, we needed to ensure that users could easily search for the relevant resources — this included making the catalogue easy to update as time went on. This was particularly important as there was no central place for all of the information.
Taking a consultative approach, we started off by running a number of workshops in order to clearly define the scope of the work and to assess how the data was currently being stored.
From here, it was clear that an off-the-shelf solution wasn't going to cut it, which is where our bespoke web application and user-friendly content management system (CMS) came in. This facilitated the storage of the resources and allowed the internal teams to keep the content up to date.
Taking a proactive and collaborative approach, we delivered the requirements in phases, within the agreed deadlines. The key deliverables included:
- A responsive design which is also compatible with the latest and legacy browsers
- Fully bilingual with the option to choose the preferred language
- A database format that is easy for Coleg Cymraeg to maintain
- A robust search function with a number of filter options to include: Subject, Field, Type of Resource, Level of Study, Keyword and Author
- Search results display in a tile/thumbnail format offering further options for user information
- CMS training and on-going support.
Of course, as the Coronavirus pandemic arrived and all teaching went online, we accelerated the development of the project to best suit our client — meaning students could carry on studying from home and didn't miss out on accessing important resources for their Welsh language studies.
Are you looking to support your educational initiatives with online learning platforms? Are you looking for a digital agency with bags of experience in the education sector?
Get in touch